In a recent presentation of David Wiley he lists 7 arguments why you should do OER:
- Education is Sharing (the technical argument)
- Buy One, Get One (the political argument)
- The Paradox of Free (the financial argument, part 1)
- The $5 Textbook (the financial argument, part 2)
- Continuous Improvement (the quality argument)
- Content is Infrastructure (the innovation argument)
- Do the Right Thing (the moral argument)
In his slides I goes into more detail of each argument. Some nice quotes from his slide:
- "If there is no sharing, there is no education"
- "knowledge is magical, it can be given without being given away"
- "publishers make 2% of the investment of a research article, then take copyright and charge you for access"
- "All taxpayer-funded educational resources should be OER"
Below I have embedded the slide deck of David: